Popular photo sharing app to connect with friends and brands
Instagram is the photo and video sharing app that single-handedly revolutionized the way we share and consume media with our phones. Simple to use yet versatile enough to have helped foster a culture of internet celebrities, this app has rightfully earned over 30 million five star reviews.
In terms of usability, the program is simple. Take a picture, choose how it’s framed, apply a filter to help color it and post it with a caption for your followers to enjoy. It also comes with added connectivity to other social media platforms, such as Twitter and Facebook, giving you the power to increase the number of locations the photo or video is featured. If you’re looking for more than just media sharing, Instagram has slowly been increasing its potential. Instagram Direct lets you share media with only specific groups of people, and a drawing tool allows you to add even more flare to the pics you snap. For increased connectivity, there is a Search tab that lets you search for users while simultaneously presenting you with other users you might find an interest in.
In order to keep the app so easy to access, a lot of other features are only available through other apps released by Instagram. Layout, for instance, gives you the ability to create collages of multiple photos. Boomerang, on the other hand, creates loop videos. While this can be a tad frustrating to not have everything in one app, all of the officially sanctioned additions are free.
- Extremely versatile
- No ads even though it’s a free app
- Limited features without downloading other apps
- Focuses solely on photo and video
We have new features for Instagram Stories!
• Stickers: No matter where you are or what you're up to, add context to your story with stickers.
• Holiday Fun: Make your story more festive with holiday stickers.
• Hands-Free Video: A new option in the format picker lets you record a video without having to press and hold.
• Text Enhancements: Add as much text as you'd like to a photo or video.
Potentially dangerous permissions
- ACCESS_FINE_LOCATION: Allows an app to access precise location. Alternatively, you might want ACCESS_COARSE_LOCATION.
- CAMERA: Required to be able to access the camera device.
- GET_ACCOUNTS: Allows access to the list of accounts in the Accounts Service.
- READ_CONTACTS: Allows an application to read the user's contacts data.
- READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE: Allows an application to read from external storage.
- READ_PHONE_STATE: Allows read only access to phone state, including the phone number of the device, current cellular network information, the status of any ongoing calls, and a list of any PhoneAccounts registered on the device.
- RECEIVE_SMS: Allows an application to receive SMS messages.
- RECORD_AUDIO: Allows an application to record audio.
- WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE: Allows an application to write to external storage.
- ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE: Allows applications to access information about networks.
- INSTALL_SHORTCUT: Allows an application to install a shortcut in Launcher.
- INTERNET: Allows applications to open network sockets.
- RECEIVE_BOOT_COMPLETED: Allows an application to receive the ACTION_BOOT_COMPLETED that is broadcast after the system finishes booting. If you don't request this permission, you will not receive the broadcast at that time. Though holding this permission does not have any security implications, it can have a negative impact on the user experience by increasing the amount of time it takes the system to start and allowing applications to have themselves running without the user being aware of them. As such, you must explicitly declare your use of this facility to make that visible to the user.
- UNINSTALL_SHORTCUT: This permission is no longer supported.
- VIBRATE: Allows access to the vibrator.
- WAKE_LOCK: Allows using PowerManager WakeLocks to keep processor from sleeping or screen from dimming.